Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Waiting for Superman

Last week at work, someone went over the intercom and announced that a documentary called "Waiting for Superman" was being offered as a special screening for free to teachers and included a discussion panel afterwards. I had never heard of this movie since I usually don't watch much T.V...next thing I know all my co-workers are saying how great they heard it is and we all planned to go watch the documentary together. 

I just came back from watching the documentary and I have never been so inspired and so proud to be a teacher! The documentary exposed the issues in education today and how so many schools practically set up students to either just get by or fail. They included a few families that have "at risk" children, who really care about their child's education and are committed to ensuring they receive only the best. It made me realize how these issues are negatively affecting children and families by just shuffling them into the system and expecting them to survive somehow. The movie discusses different options other than public schools for example, charter schools (I actually work at one). As the kids waited anxiously to see if they made it into the Lottery for a charter school, you could see concern, nervousness, and eagerness in their faces. No child should have to be concerned about getting into a good school, it should just be happening! Being a teacher is so much more than a title. Your actually an educator, janitor, nurse, caregiver, listener, friend....your everything to that child when he/she is in your care. Throughout the movie, I really enjoyed learning about the statistics that were shown and how the school systems were explained so clearly. I walked away from this movie with a lot of-appreciation for my job, determination to provide the best quality of education, show more compassion & patience, and to give parents chances (believe it or not, this can be really hard!). 

You should watch this documentary whether you are a parent, student, or teacher--don't forget your tissues! Check out the trailer! 




3 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Makes me want to be a teacher again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Kattia you should it's very inspiring
    @Magali if you watch it, it will make you want exactly that! lol

    ReplyDelete